In print only. Go to the volume labeled Advertisers -- Business Classifications.
Use the Index of Companies tabbed section in the front to look up the name of the company. Note the page number, and go to that page in the same volume. If the data is available, it will be listed under the company entry, under the heading Advertising Expenditures.
To find advertising expenditure for an individual company:
1. Search for the company
2. Once in the profile, locate the 10-k annual report (under the Filingstab).
3. Search the report for "advertising" using Ctrl + F (PC) or Command + F (Mac)
To find advertising expenditure for multiple companies:
1. From the Mergent Online homepage, select the Advanced Search tab near the top of the screen
2. Select criteria to generate a list of companies (For example, all companies in California with SIC code 7371)
3. Select View to see results.
4. At the top of the next screen, go to the top left drop-down menu. Select Add all companies.
5. In the My Mergent Tools menu on the right, select Company Analysis list. A new window should open.
6. Select Company comparison report at the top.
7. To move the entire list of companies to the right-hand box, click the double arrow (>>).
8. Select desired data from the lower list, using the + icons to expand selections. Use the single arrow (>) to move items to the right. (Advertising is under Financials.)
9. You must click on each selected item once it is in the right-hand box, so that they appear highlighted.
10. Select years.
11. Select report format, and then Create Report (it may take a while to load).
Advertising Age Marketing Fact Pack
Available next to the Advertising Age magazines in Hillman Library.
Contains lists of the top company and brand advertising spenders.