Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Course & Subject Guides
Archives & Special Collections welcomes everyone! Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with our policies and procedures below. Procedures derive from these basic concerns:
- Quality of service to researchers
- Security and preservation of the materials
- Courtesy to other researchers; and compliance with University and library regulations
Policies and Procedures
Our responsibility for proper care of the unique materials entrusted to us requires us to institute the following safeguards in the reading room:
- Prospective users of rare books or manuscript collections must complete a registration form on your first visit
- Special Collections allows the use of loose sheets of note paper, note cards,or a laptop computer. You will be requested to place any items not permitted in the Reading Room in the key operated storage lockers, such as brief cases, backpacks, tote bags, purses, and laptop bags.
- The use of pens is prohibited, but we will be more than happy to supply you with a pencil.
- As a courtesy to other researchers, we ask that all cell phones be set to silent/vibrate.
- Scanning equipment may not be used in the reading room, although digital cameras are permitted with permission on a case-by-case basis. You will be asked to complete and submit a digital camera log.
- Materials will not be retrieved within 30 minutes of closing. All materials must be returned 15 minutes before closing. Upon request, materials may be held on reserive in the Reading Room.