Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Course & Subject Guides
- 1815 察世俗每月統記傳 (Chinese Monthly Magazine) First modern Chinese periodical in the world, published in Malacca by William Milne (1785-1822)
- 1827 廣州紀錄報 (Canton Register) First English-language periodical issued in China proper
- 1833 東西洋考每月統記傳 (Eastern Western Monthly Magazine) First Chinese-language periodical issued in China proper, edited by Karl Gützlaff (1803-1851)
- 1850 北華捷報 (North China Herald) First English-language newspaper published in Shanghai, the most long-lasting (101 years) English-language newspaper published in China before 1949
- 1854 金山新聞 (Golden Hills News) First Chinese periodical issued in North America, weekly published in San Francisco
- 1865 中外新報 First newspaper issued by Chinese, ended in 1919, predecessor: 香港船頭貨價紙 founded in 1857
- 1872 申報 First daily newspaper in China, established by British businessman Ernest Major (1841-1908), one of the most influential modern Chinese newspapers, ceased in 1949
- 1874 循環日報 One of the most successful newspapers published by Chinese, established by Wang Tao 王韜 (1828-1897) in Hong Kong
- 1876 格致彙編 (Chinese Scientific Magazine) First popular scientific magazine in China, edited by John Fryer (1839-1928), predecessor: 中西聞見錄
- 1884 點石齋畫報 One of the most prominent pictorial magazines in China, supplement to 申報
- 1895 約翰聲 First college journal in China, published at St. John’s University in Shanghai
- 1896 時務報 One of the most important political newspapers during the Late Qing reform, initiated by Liang Qichao 梁啟超 (1873-1929) and Wang Kangnian 汪康年 (1860-1911)
- 1898 女學報 First female newspaper in China
- 1902 大公報 One of the most significant newspaper in modern China, established in Tianjin
- 1902 北洋官報 First local government organ in China, established in Tianjin by Yuan Shikai 袁世凱 (1859-1916)
- 1904 東方雜誌 One of the most prominent comprehensive magazine in modern China, published by Zhang Yuanji 張元濟 (1867-1959) at Shangwu Yinshuguan 商務印書館 (The Commercial Press) in Shanghai
- 1926 良友 One of the most influential and popular comprehensive pictorial (photographic) journals in modern China
時報舘 （Shi Bao House)
Shi Bao House in the 1920s.
Shi Bao (The Times) was founded in Shanghai on June 12, 1904.
Dictionaries and Encyclopedia