Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Course & Subject Guides
Engineering Co-Op Program
Nuts & Bolts of Co-Op @ Pitt
- Students must complete a minimum of three rotations to satisfy program requirements. (Chemistry, Information Technology, and Computer Science students must complete a minimum of two rotations).
- Students typically alternate between full-time work and full-time school.
- Students earn one credit for each term worked; upon completion of terms, credits can be used towards departmental graduation requirements.
- Students usually remain with the same employer while participating in co-op. It is possible and not difficult to change companies, but our philosophy is that by staying with the same company, you will receive more in-depth and challenging assignments.
- Our positions are with employers who are local, national and international.
- Students who complete the co-op requirements receive certification on their transcript.
- Transfer students can participate in co-op.
- The one credit co-op course keeps you enrolled with a full-time status.
- Students do not pay tuition while on a co-op assignment, but a modest fee.
- Financial aid and scholarships are received during the school terms only.
- Participation in co-op will most likely not affect your participation in a study abroad program or other student activities.
Welcome! This guide provides information about the Co-op Program at the Swanson School of Engineering.
So, just what IS the co-op? Cooperative Education is the rotation between school and full-time work assignments that relate directly to your engineering, chemistry, or computer science discipline. The program enables you to complement classroom studies with practical experience, technical knowledge, and financial reward.
- Visit this link to learn the steps to apply for a Co-Op position!
- Application Deadlines
- Spring Co-op: End of September
- Summer Co-op: End of January
- Fall Co-op: End of May
**These deadlines are established with the student's best interests
in mind. It is still possible for a student to apply after the deadline,
however, this students will have missed out on opportunities.
COVID - 19 & the CO-OP Program
Co-op Employer of the Year