Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Course & Subject Guides
EndNote is a popular citation management program. You can use it to save and organize your references, insert and format citations and bibliographies, and to search library databases.
Downloading EndNote Desktop
EndNote X9 is available to Pitt students and faculty for free through the Software Download Service at My Pitt. The site gives detailed instructions on the download process.
EndNote Online is the online component of EndNote. All Pitt students and faculty have access to EndNote Online when you download the EndNote desktop software. You can sign up for an account at myendnoteweb.com. For verification purposes, you have to do this from a computer on the Pitt network, using your Pitt email address.
Functions of EndNote
EndNote as a reference and full text organizer with a collaborative Web tool:
- Group references according to your research projects and attach up to 45 files per record for managing related materials.
- Locate full text PDF files for you or create a reference when importing a PDF file. Synchronize references and file attachments to your EndNote Web account.
- Share groups with other EndNote users easily and manage your ResearcherID publication list.
EndNote as a bibliography maker
- Cite While You Write™ takes the pain out of citing and formatting references in Microsoft Word, and OpenOffice.org Writer 3 for Windows. You can also create bibliographies for other word processors using Format Paper (RTF files).
EndNote as an online search tool
- You can search online bibliographic resources and retrieve references directly into your EndNote library. You can also export references to EndNote from your favorite online resource (see "Direct Export Providers" in EndNote Help).
How to use EndNote in 6 Minutes - Windows
How to use EndNote in 6 Minutes - macOS
EndNote Desktop vs EndNote Online
EndNote Comparison Chart
Review a quick comparison between EndNote x9 and EndNote Online to learn the importance of using both products in a research environment. (Note: EndNote Basic refers to the free web account only. EndNote Online refers to the web account that is activated in conjunction with the Desktop software.)