- Written for professors, students or researchers.
- Have a plain appearance and titles may include words like "Journal," "Transactions," or "Quarterly”.
- Articles are reviewed by a board of experts or "peer reviewed."
- Follow a standard format: abstract, literature review, methodology, results, conclusion, possibly footnotes, endnotes and/or bibliography.
- May include tables, graphs or illustrations to support research.
- Very little advertising.
General Purpose (Popular)
- May have a bright cover with many glossy pictures.
- Designed to attract a broad segment of the population.
- No specific format.
- Articles sometimes unsigned.
- General editors of the magazine review articles.
- May include tables, graphs or illustrations.
- Lots of advertising.