What is Mendeley?
Mendeley is a reference manager and academic social network that can help you organize your research, collaborate with others online, and discover the latest research.
- Automatically generate bibliographies
- Collaborate easily with other researchers online
- Easily import papers from other research software
- Find relevant papers based on what you’re reading
- Access your papers from anywhere online
Training & Support
The University Library System offers Mendeley training sessions for University faculty, staff and students. Each hands-on class is an hour and a half long, and free for all Pitt affiliates. Class sizes are limited, so please register for a class.
Mendeley Basics classes cover creating an account, searching resources and exporting citations to Mendeley, organizing collections of citations, attaching files to citations, and creating and formatting bibliographies of citations.
Sign up for a Training Session:
1. Mendeley -- Get started by creating a free Mendeley Web account using your University of Pittsburgh email account.
2. Join the Pitt Mendeley Group -- Joining the University of Pittsburgh Mendeley group gives you additional benefits like 3.5GB shared storage, 3.5GB private storage, and up to 10 Private Groups. Click on the green Join This Group button in the upper right of the screen.
3. Download the Mendeley Desktop -- Use the Mendeley Desktop to build and organize your collection of references and documents. Drag & drop PDF files into the Desktop to instantly create references. Add highlights and sticky notes inside your PDFs as you read them, and privately share them with colleagues.
4. Install the Mendeley Web Importer -- Install the Web Importer into your favorite web browser to import references and documents from a wide range of academic databases.
5. Install the Mendeley MS Word Plugin-- Installing the Microsoft Word plugin will allow you to insert citations and bibliographies into your Microsoft Word document.