EndNote is a popular reference management program. You can use it to save and organize your references, insert and format citations and bibliographies, and to search library databases.
Downloading EndNote Desktop
EndNote X7 is available to Pitt students and faculty for free through the Software Download Service at My Pitt. The site gives detailed instructions on the download process.
EndNote Web is the online component of EndNote. All Pitt students and faculty have access to EndNote Web through Pitt's subscription to the Web of Knowledge database. You can sign up for an account at myendnoteweb.com. For verification purposes, you have to do this from a computer on the Pitt network, using your Pitt email address.
Transitioning from RefWorks
An Overview of EndNote X7
EndNote Desktop vs. EndNote Web
Review a quick comparison between EndNote Desktop and EndNote Web to learn the importance of using both products in a research environment.
More information can be found here.
EndNote Web (with EndNote Desktop)
|Storage capacity (number of references)||10,000||25,000||unlimited|
|Capture references from the Web||+||+|
|Import from many databases and OPACs||+||+||+|
|Cite & format papers with bibliographies||+||+||+|
|Create & save advanced searches||+|
|Customize views & displays||+|
|Edit reference import filters & output styles||+|
|Use term lists for auto-entry||+|
|Cite tables, figures, & equations||+|
|Work Offline (anytime/anywhere)||+|
|Local Personal Files and Documents||+|
|High Performance Desktop Environment||+|
Functions of EndNote
EndNote as a reference and full text organizer with a collaborative Web tool:
- Group references according to your research projects and attach up to 45 files per record for managing related materials.
- Locate full text PDF files for you or create a reference when importing a PDF file. Synchronize references and file attachments to your EndNote Web account.
- Share groups with other EndNote users easily and manage your ResearcherID publication list.
EndNote as a bibliography maker
- Cite While You Write™ takes the pain out of citing and formatting references in Microsoft Word, and OpenOffice.org Writer 3 for Windows. You can also create bibliographies for other word processors using Format Paper (RTF files).
EndNote as an online search tool
- You can search online bibliographic resources and retrieve references directly into your EndNote library. You can also export references to EndNote from your favorite online resource (see "Direct Export Providers" in EndNote Help).