Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania - Greensburg Campus
This guide will assist students in various courses who need information regarding the history, demographics, and local resources of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania or if you are enrolled in History 1005, Special Topics.
In 1964 the Charles McKenna Lynch Estate, known as Starboard Light, was purchased by the University as the new permanent site of the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg. The 104 acre estate consisted of a tudor style house which had been constructed in 1923, a swimming pool, tennis court, bathhouse, gatehouse and formal garden. After extensive remodeling, Lynch Hall was open for business in 1967. Until more facilities could be constructed, the campus had two sites: one on Mount Pleasant Road and one in downtown Greensburg.
At the entrance to the campus is the Admissions Office in Rossetti House, the former home of Mary Quinn, C.M. Lynch's daughter. This structure is a 1940 Sears, Roebuck house. Both structures are listed in A Guidebook to Historic Western Pennsylvaniaby Helene Smith and George Swetnam.
In this hand-typed document, Eileen Rathgeb, first Pitt-Greensburg librarian, describes the first year of a new campus in downtown Greensburg from the perspective of the library and its activities. This item is located in the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg Millstein Library's archives and is protected by copyright. Use of this document without permission of the Pitt-Greensburg campus is in violation of copyright.