Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania - Greensburg Campus
This guide will assist students in various courses who need information regarding the history, demographics, and local resources of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania or if you are enrolled in History 1005, Special Topics.
This is a reprint of an atlas published in 1867. This volume contains property lines and coal deposits in Westmoreland County as of 1867. It is located in the map case at the Greensburg Campus library.
In The War That Made America, Anderson deftly shows how the expansion of the British colonies into French territory in the 1750s and the ongoing Native American struggle for survival would erupt into seven years of bloodshed and unrest spreading from the backwoods of Pennsylvania to the high courts of Europe, eventually overturning the balance of power on two continents and laying the groundwork for the American Revolution. Several Pitt libraries have the book and DVD.
The 1941 edition is available in the Documenting Pitt online collection. The 1941 print title is also held by the University Library System. The 1980 reprint item is available at the Greensburg Campus Library.
Facts About Westmoreland County
"Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, was named for Westmoreland county, England...."Mother" Westmoreland, cut from Bedford county, is one of the nine counties of Pennsylvania named for English shires...the nickname 'Star of the West' was attached to Westmoreland county by eastern politicians because of the Democratic party majorities over the Whigs each election in the 1840s." -- A Short History of Westmoreland County, by C.M. Bomberger.
Westmoreland County was formed by an Act of Assembly by Governor Richard Penn on February 26, 1773 from Bedford County. Originally the county seat was at Hanna's Town (the site of the first English court west of the Allegheny Mountains) but moved to Greensburg in 1785. The first log courthouse stood in the same location as the current courthouse on Main Street in the city of Greensburg. The present courthouse was dedicated on January 31, 1908.
On December 9, 1965 residents of Kecksburg, PA reported that a UFO crashed near their small rural community. The local newspaper, the Greensburg Tribune-Review, ran the following headline on Dec. 10: "Unidentified Flying Object Falls near Kecksburg-Army Ropes Off Area." (This newspaper headline is available on microfilm at Millstein Library on the Greensburg campus.)